Are you looking for an easy and fun item to take on car trips or use while your kids are waiting at the doctor’s office? Do you have a ton of small junk in your junk drawer you would love to find a useful purpose for?
Well you have found the answer right here in our Look and Find Fun. The genius of this one is 3-fold: It’s cheap, It’s uses recycled goods, and It’s educational! Plus the kids can help to make it..so the fun begins right immediately!
All you need is 4 things:
- A clean recycled plastic container with tight fitting top. A peanut butter, or mayonnaise jar works great.
- Bird Seed works the best for this as it has a color and texture that makes finding the items a bit more of a challenge. If you have younger children and you would like them to be more successful. Try rice, not minute rice but the slow cooking variety.
- Anything from the bottom of your purse or the back of the junk drawer. Ideas:
- A penny
- A paperclip
- A toothpick
- A match
- A feather
- An eraser
- A nail
- A push pin
- A rubber band
- Heavy duty glue or caulk sealer. Whatever you have on hand. Don’t use just Elmer’s or tacky glue as they won’t stick. Use E600 or hot glue or caulk glue.
Steps to Build:
- Clean and dry container well
- Collect your look and find items.
- Write a list of the items you have to put on the outside
- Place items into the container
- Fill with bird seed or rice until about 1/2 inch from the top (if the neck of your container is narrow you may find that using a funnel is easiest.)
- Screw the top on and shake up the contents
- This part an adult needs to do: firmly glue top onto the container
- Tape or glue the list of items on the outside. If your child is too young to read, put small pictures of the items on a laminated sheet attached by a string to the container.
Ways to make the fun more challenging:
- Have a race to find a particular item. Time each child to see who can find the nail, or feather the fastest.
- Make sure to include a couple challenge items, something that is really small and hard to find. Like a googly eye or a sunflower seed.
- Time how long it takes each person to find all of the colors.
Looking for a simple, ready made way to jump start this project. Visit www.etsy.com and search for Explore Galore Kids. There you will find ready made Creativity Kits with everything you need to build this project and get started the minute it arrives at your door. Click the link for ready made fun!
Looking for more Explore Galore Fun try one of our books: http://exploregalorekids.com/merchandise/explore-books/